Walnut is great source plant source of omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid, ALA) and omega-6 fatty acids. A clinical trial using walnut as interventional dietary modification in men between the age of 21-35 who live on westernized diet showed that daily consumption of walnut improves sperm vitality, motility, and morphology after 12 weeks1. In addition, walnut also improves endothelial function (lining of the blood vessels). The foods that increase blood vessels and expand the blood vessels help to improve erections.
Watermelon is rich in citrulline which helps to alleviate erectile dysfunction. Citrulline is converted to arginine which boosts the production of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is a potent blood vessels expender which help to increase oxygen delivery to muscles and penis. In 2 week study using watermelon supplementation shown that watermelon increases the NO concentration in the blood. In this study, the men were supplemented with 300 mL/day of a watermelon juice concentrate, which provided ∼3.4 g l-citrulline/day. The study found that watermelon juice supplementation increased baseline plasma NO and improved muscle oxygenation2. Latest review showed that L-Citrulline supplementation, but not acute ingestion, have shown to improve exercise performance in young healthy adults3.
Peaches are rich in antioxidant such Vitamin C. Vitamin C is an important vitamin to lower the concentration of your stress hormone (cortisol). The lower your cortisol level, the higher your testosterone level. Peaches also have been shown to be beneficial in improving sperm motility. Study in mice showed that peach gum polysaccharides are effective in protecting the spermatogenesis in mice with impaired reproduction system4.
Oysters are rich in zinc. Zinc is a vital nutrient in the normal reproductive function and for optimal testosterone production. If you have low testosterone level, make sure that your intake of zinc is increased. Normal level of testosterone is important to maintain strong erections. If you not into oysters, you can try crab, lobsters, nuts, beans and whole grains. Animal study showed that oyster supplementation in zinc-deficient mice can prevent reproductive defects from zinc deficiency5.
- Berry fruits
The term ‘berry fruits’ encompasses the so-called ‘soft fruits’, primarily strawberry, currants, gooseberry, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry, and cranberry. The bioactive compounds in berries are mainly phenolic compounds (phenolic acids, flavonoids, such as anthocyanins and flavonols, and tannins) and ascorbic acid. These compounds, either individually or combined, are responsible for various health benefits of berries. Berries are the best natural sources of antioxidant to counteract the negative effect of free radicals. It has been shown to have cardioprotective effect in preventing atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and erectile dysfunction.
- Green leafy vegetables
Vegetables are loaded with nutrients and also magnesium which play a vital role in dilating blood vessels to maintain a strong erection. Magnesium also helps to calm down stress and reduce the cortisol level. Daily intake of leafy vegetables has been shown to reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks and stroke6.
- Egg Yolk
Egg yolk is rich in vitamin D which is an essential vitamin to maintain a normal level of testosterone level. Egg yolk also contains protein, folate, phosphorus, vitamin B12 and selenium which is essential to produce good quality semen. Do go for free-range eggs. The study showed that eggs laid by the hens that range freely and have higher exposure to ultraviolet sunlight produce eggs that higher in vitamin D content7.
- Dark Chocolate
The ancient Incas called it “the drink of the Gods.” The cocoa tree was given the name “Theobroma cocoa” by combining the Greek terms “theo” (meaning God) and “broma” (meaning drink). The Aztec Emperor Montezuma drank Theobroma cocoa in large quantities and described it as “The divine drink, which builds up resistance and fights fatigue”. Dark chocolate is rich in good nutrients (ie. flavonoids) which shown to be beneficial for your heart. It also contain phenylethylamine which can stimulate production of endorphin and serotonin in the brain. Dark chocolate consumption have been shown to decrease the level of inflammation in men in response to acute psychosocial stress in a randomised controlled trial8.
- Robbins, W. A. et al. Walnuts Improve Semen Quality in Men Consuming a Western-Style Diet: Randomized Control Dietary Intervention Trial1. Biol. Reprod. 87, (2012).
- Bailey, S. J. et al. Two weeks of watermelon juice supplementation improves nitric oxide bioavailability but not endurance exercise performance in humans. Nitric Oxide 59, 10–20 (2016).
- Figueroa, A., Wong, A., Jaime, S. J. & Gonzales, J. U. Influence of L-citrulline and watermelon supplementation on vascular function and exercise performance. Curr. Opin. Clin. Nutr. Metab. Care 20, 92–98 (2017).
- Qian, L., Wang, W., Song, J. & Chen, D. Peach gum polysaccharides improve the spermatogenesis of KKAy mice with impaired reproduction system. Am. J. Reprod. Immunol. 77, e12627 (2017).
- Matsuda, Y. & Watanabe, T. Effects of oyster extract on the reproductive function of zinc-deficient mice: bioavailability of zinc contained in oyster extract. Congenit. Anom. (Kyoto). 43, 271–9 (2003).
- Pollock, R. L. The effect of green leafy and cruciferous vegetable intake on the incidence of cardiovascular disease: A meta-analysis. JRSM Cardiovasc. Dis. 5, 204800401666143 (2016).
- Kühn, J., Schutkowski, A., Kluge, H., Hirche, F. & Stangl, G. I. Free-range farming: A natural alternative to produce vitamin D-enriched eggs. Nutrition 30, 481–484 (2014).
- Kuebler, U. et al. Dark chocolate attenuates intracellular pro-inflammatory reactivity to acute psychosocial stress in men: A randomized controlled trial. Brain. Behav. Immun. 57, 200–208 (2016).